Writer Marcus Samuelson once said, “I cannot stress a greater importance than to teach the young generation about the risk of unhealthy eating. A great way to pique their interest in nutrition is to involve them more in the cooking process. They not only will learn to cook for themselves, but also develop a lifetime of healthy habits”. According to the “Daily Health Post”, more and more people, over the past 40 years, are eating out. Which is causing to a significant decrease in nutrient density and greater health risks. Dinning out is becoming a habit of life for many people worldwide. As a full time college student I know firsthand how fast, convenient, and easy it is to dine out for breakfast, lunch or dinner. However there is a solution that rather benefits more than it can harm you. Preparing a home cooked meal will not only save you money, but will also benefit your health and give you control over the quality and the quantity. In preparing a home cooked meal one gives themselves the opportunity and chance to lead a healthier lifestyle.
1st Main Point: Preparing a home cooked meal saves money.
Statistics: Graphs and charts that show the cost of a dine out meal vs a home cooked meal
- Cost advantages/ Budget friendly (Daily Health Post)
- Affordable Groceries vs. A Fast food meal
Professionals: Doctors and health care and food industry professionals
- Dr. Mark Hyman “America Spending Less”
- Writer Jane Dornbusch (Bostonglobe) “Eating out not cheaper”
Testimonials: People who have made the switch to preparing home cooked meals more than donning out
- ABC news “Real Money: Fast food vs Home cooked meals”
- Forbes Magazine “ It is less expensive to cook food yourself”
Studies: Institutions that have tested and study the theory
- Huffington Post top 9 reasons for not eating out
- Fox News/ Kathy Wright “ A meal cooked at home is more economical”
- 2nd Main Point: Preparing home cooked meals benefits the health.
Professionals: Doctors and health enthusiast that attest to the health benefits of preparing home cooked meals
- Madelyn Fernstorm/ “Today” health diet editor
- Paula Martina and Demand Media “Healthy Eating”
- ABC News “Real Money: Fast food vs Home cooked meals.
Statistics: Studies that prove the health benefits of preparing a home cooked meal
- John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Health
- Medical Daily “health benefits of home cooked meals”
- Huffington Post “Healthy Living” Cambridge study
Testimonials: People who have experienced the health benefits of preparing home cooked meals over dinning out
- Dr. Mark Hyman/ Huffington Post “Healthy Living”
- NY Daily News John Hopkins Study
- Living Strong benefits of eating homemade meals
- 3rd Main Point: Preparing a home cooked meal will give you control over the quantity and quality of what you eat.
Statistics. Graphs and charts that compare and contrast the amount of food a person receives dinning out vs what they prepare themselves at home
- McDonald’s “TV vs. Reality: What you expect vs what you get”
- The amount given by restraints and why
- Control over what goes in your food
Testimonials: People who have noticed or realized the difference between the quality and quantity of what they eat when they dine out
- My personal experience
- Ines Wingate “Eating out vs. Dining at home”
- Cathy Erway Top 9 reasons for not eating out
- Bloomberg School of Public Health
Professionals: Food marketers and food enthusiasts
- Johns Hopkins health Association
- Kathy Wright Fox News
- Daily Health Post
- Fit Day 6 reasons why you should stop dinning out
Cooking is not difficult. Everyone has taste, even if they don’t realize it. Even if you’re not a great chef, there’s nothing to stop you understanding the difference between what taste good and what doesn’t. Society has grown to become lazy and reliant on others to do the work for them. Just think back to a time where fast food didn’t exist. People bought their own groceries and made their own food. A time when people took the time and put in the love and care into their food. Just because society has chosen a path of over excessive conveniences does not mean that you have to walk with them. Take a new direction and live a happier and healthier life. A constant diet that you are aware of and in control of will only benefit you on the end. Constantly donning out and relying on outside sources to make your ford will only bring you down. Choose better, choose to save your money, benefit your health, and have control. Chef Ina Garten, one of my favorites, expresses, “Instead of going out to dinner, buy good food. Cooking at home shows some affection. In a bad economy, it’s more important to make yourself feel good”.