To work in a team is a very common element of any business environment and may become an approach that organizations take for particular work, accountabilities or some special cases. It can usually be challenging for many types of personalities or types to work together on a common set of objectives; it has some advantages as well which impact the company as well as the people attached to it (Hillyard et al., 2010). The main benefits of group work are more than simple business focused, and there are normally some kinds of advantages for the workforce as well.
The group work advantages
- Share ideas and innovation: one of the biggest advantages of group work or any team culture is the overall capacity to share multiple ideas among the groups. Most probably there are many possible approaches for the projects and as people; a staff member can be unaware of which one can take. At the same time, as a team, all the members can also be a part of different pros as well as cons of the principles to work and way to achieve the necessary goals (Hillyard et al., 2010).
- Increased level of efficiency: Other main advantages of the group work it helps in getting thing much faster. When any group starts working on a project or function, it can be done in a rapid manner and plus with the great amount of efficiency (Long & Porter, 1985).
- Responsibility for weak areas: working in a team not just assist to show people many kinds of strengths but is also permit for high compensation of many weak cases. Member of a team can share the work so that people can show their strengths with the work and collaborate to solve the weak areas.
- Improvement in office companionship: when people work at one place as a team, they are not just becoming more invested in the work, but they are also coming closer to one another (Long & Porter, 1985). The team also supports one another and tries to help each other even outside the team structure and also be able to adapt one another's working methods. This can result in teamwork and different approaches external of the official structure of teamwork (Cohen & Lotan, 2014).
How these benefits help the university students to become successful
Group work can assist students in some ways where they can easily develop a lot of skills that are very crucial in the professional world. Positivity in group experiences in addition to some learning, retention and complete success in colleges. Following are some the benefits for the students: -
- It helps them to break the whole task in small parts and steps easily. This way, they become more and more organized in dealing with things.
- It also helps in properly planning as well as managing the time.
- Teamwork also helps in refining the overall understanding through appropriate discussion (Wid?n-Wulff, 2014).
- A delegation of roles and responsibilities.
- Deal with difficult issues in a right manner.
- Generate an ability to settle a shared identity with so many members.
Challenges that group faces while working in a team
Following are some of the important challenges: -
- Conflict in diverse situations: when there are two or more than two positions that differ with one another, positions tends to get argued about the group, and it will not lead any solution.
- Communication problem and mistrust: when people in the team try to dominate the communication while other people silently sit or also appear to drop out from the conversation, it will impact the work culture and create a lot of mistrust in the team.
- Clashes in personality: in this situation, personal styles are unique and also cause a lot of conflict among the members of the team (Wid?n-Wulff, 2014).
- Power based problems and personal issues: conflict also arises when there are power based issues or strong agenda that must be dealt appropriately. The truth is that there is certain kind of people that does not fit on a team and a leader also requires having a will to eliminate them or also offer another position to them (Wid?n-Wulff, 2014).
How these challenges does have an effect on groups
Culture issues, as well as diversity based problems, usually clear their position as there is a breakdown in communication process or many kinds of interpersonal issues. The difference in communication behavior from one individual to another, the staff member can try to communicate indirectly while other people may prefer some nurturing approaches. The style of working also changes with someone with an extroverted personality that one might feel unhappy about working alone. Success in team association is constructed on mutual respect and taking a lot of time in listening every member of the team. It is also based on taking their opinion into consideration, and it is very crucial to instill a feeling of values in each member (Baines et al., 2016).
How to overcome these challenges
- every member to take turn one by one to express their concern and doubts. Rest of the people can listen carefully and understand each other situation and reason for their behavior.
- One way to deal with mistrust is a leader coming forward and asks every member what their opinion and another method is to get a process observer. His job is to aim at how any team is communicating with one another (Levi, 2015).
- A team leader here also plays a crucial role in administering different behavior based assessment tools to assist people in properly understanding every member and learn to work with one another.
- The power issues don't happen on the regular interval, but on some occasion, it is required. The situation can be dealt with the team normally is a step forward. This can be an option only in the situation where other people attempts to work with people that have failed miserably (Levi, 2015).
There are many advantages for depending on the group work in the class and also sharing all the advantages with the students in a more transparent way which assisted the students to understand different methods to learn group work. It can also improve the learning process and also prepare them for many life-based experiences. Working is a group is usually a normal phenomenon for any workplace (Levi, 2015). As a matter of fact, employees learn a lot from working with a group as they work and pursue their career. When people work in a group, they learn a language in so many methods even when they may not understand the kind of changes it is bringing to them. There are so many advantages along with challenges for the company and as the organization, every firm look for these benefits.
Baines, E., Blatchford, P., & Kutnick, P. (2016). Promoting effective group work in the primary classroom: A handbook for teachers and practitioners. Routledge.
Cohen, E. G., & Lotan, R. A. (2014). Designing Groupwork: Strategies for the Heterogeneous Classroom Third Edition. Teachers College Press.
Hillyard, C., Gillespie, D. and Littig, P. (2010). University students' attitudes about learning in small groups after frequent participation.Active Learning in Higher Education, 11(1), pp.9-20.
Levi, D. (2015). Group dynamics for teams. Sage Publications.
Long, M. H., & Porter, P. A. (1985).Group work, interlanguage talk, and second language acquisition. TESOL Quarterly, 207-228.
Wid?n-Wulff, G. (2014). The challenges of knowledge sharing in practice: a social approach. Elsevier.