The organization which has been chosen for the purpose of the report is Spark NZ. The Spark New Zealand is Telecommunications Company based in New Zealand and provides various products as well as services like the fixed line, telephone services, mobile networks, internet service provider and other Information and Communications Technology provider to different New Zealand Businesses (Sparknz.co.nz, 2018). The company became a publically traded company back in the year 1990. The company has its headquarters in Auckland, New Zealand and trades under the New Zealand stock market. As per the statistics, the company has 6000 employees as of 2017 and a revenue of 353 crore as of 2015.
The different functional departments as present in the company have been given as follows:
- Production/ Service: The production as well as the service department of Spark NZ is largely concerned with ensuring that they are able to provide the right service to the right audience.
- Research and development: The research and development department of Spark NZ seeks to ensure that they come up with various services that will then assist the different customers and ensure that they will be able to successfully innovate (Schaper et al., 2015).
- Human resource management: The human resource department at Spark NZ is concerned with hiring, recruitment and the performance management programs to the company.
- Technical department: The technical organization looks after the network and overall management systems of the organization.
- Accounting and Finance: The accounts and finance department looks out for the financials of the firm and assesses whether the organization is making a profit or not (Robson, 2015).
- Marketing: Helps in product designing along with the promotion for Spark NZ
- Quality check and Sustainability: Seeks to ensure that the firm performs well with respect to quality and that it engages in adequate sustainable practices.
- Planning: This function refers to the function of planning for the future of the organization to decide upon the action plan. Eg. The annual budget can be taken to be as a planning process.
- Leading: Leading can be described as the procedure of deciding upon the management who will guide the firm and help them to attain its objectives. For instance, Simon Moutter is the leader at Spark NZ and his aim is to ensure the overall welfare of the firm (Robson, 2015).
- Organizing: Organizing means seeing to it that everything is in place and that the duties and goals have been assigned adequately or not. For instance, assigning duties to the different managers.
- Control: Refers to the act of monitoring and evaluation. The annual report at the end of the year can be stated to be a control mechanism.
The management guidance under Simon Moutter has gone a long way in assisting the company to achieve new heights. The management makes a continuous effort in order to ensure that the firm performs well. This has proven to have bought positive results for the firm whereby there has been a continued growth due to the prosperity in mobile and cloud security (Sparknz.co.nz, 2018). With a revenue of 29 million and a positive movement, the management can be praised for their continuous efforts. Moreover, the individual revenues with respect to the Operating revenue and other sources of income have also increased. Hence, this can be a reflection of the fact that the management process and functions have been working well for the firm.
The Mintzberg`s Management roles can be rightfully defined as the set of roles which an ideal manager is supposed to play in an organization at large (Kumar, 2015). The manner in which the managers of Spark NZ fulfill these roles have been given as follows:
- Interpersonal Roles
- Liaison: As a liaison, the managers at NZ, successful interface with people both within and outside the organization.
- Leader: As a manager in Spark NZ, they are required to lead the different people and achieve a specific goal.
- Figurehead: As a figurehead, the managers at Spark NZ, act as the head of the firm and tend to support the different individuals at the time of a crisis.
- Informational Roles
- Monitor: The managers in Spark NZ, monitor and track the changes which take place in a firm (Fayol, 2016).
- Spokesperson: The managers also act as a spokesperson and represent the firm at large.
- Disseminator: The role of the manager at the Spark NZ is also to act as a disseminator to spread relevant information in the organization.
- Decision Roles
- Entrepreneur: As an entrepreneur, the manager has to come up with an idea for a business in order to innovative the business (Fayol, 2016).
- Disturbance Handler: The manager also acts as a disturbance handler and manages tension.
- Resource Allocator: Moreover, the act as a resource allocator and look out to manage the different resources of the firm at Spark NZ (Fayol, 2016).
- Negotiator: Lastly, as a negotiator the management at Spark NZ, it manages the different negotiation deals within the firm and outside the firm.
- Analytical: The finance manager is required to have adequate analytical skills which will help them to manage the financial sheets.
- Communication: They need to have appropriate communication skills to ensure that they report the statements in the right format (Kaplan & Atkinson, 2015).
- Technical: They need to possess adequate technical skills so as to ensure they are able to correctly calculate the standing of the firm.
- Decision making: Moreover they need to have adequate decision making skills so as to make correct strategies and moves.
Fayol, H. (2016). General and industrial management. Ravenio Books.
Kaplan, R. S., & Atkinson, A. A. (2015). Advanced management accounting. PHI Learning.
Kumar, P. (2015). An Analytical study on Mintzberg’s Framework: Managerial Roles. International Journal of Research in Management & Business Studies (IJRMBS), 2, 12-18.
Robson, W. (2015). Strategic management and information systems. Pearson Higher Ed.
Schaper, M. T., Volery, T., Weber, P. C., & Gibson, B. (2014). Entrepreneurship and small business.
Sparknz.co.nz (2018). Annual Report [online]. Available at: (Retrieved on: 02 Nov. 2018).
Sparknz.co.nz (2018). iPhone XR- Available Now! [Online]. Available at: (Retrieved on: 02 Nov. 2018).