Project documentation is one of the substantial features for a successful project delivery. Therefore, by considering the risks factors associated with the project management, significant documentation of project scope will be mandatory (Hyv?ri, 2016). The identified project paper has been provided to assess the adverse circumstances of a project management during a project if Computer Security Department (CSD). Moreover, through the identification of project status, a comparison with the sound project practices has been drawn to make an evident conclusion. On the basis of the structure of the project, steps have been suggested for project closure. Also, additional recommendations for future CSD projects, identified project manager skills and individual advice to the CEO had been included in the report paper to draw a significant conclusion.
Current Project Status
If the current status of the project is consider it can be seen that there is improper planning that has led to no documentation of the activities. There is an inappropriate budget planning that has led to failure of the budget. A shortfall of $185,000 can be seen in the budget that emerged to be a major problem for the project. The primary reason for the failure of the project is to not hire a project manager and hand over all responsibility of a project manager to the Finance Manager of the company (Wang & King, 2007). Another issue that can be noticed from the case study is the upgraded software faces different problems that make the operations complicated. Furthermore, there is no reliable reports that present the budget, scope and closure report of the project.
Structure of Report
It can be seen through the investigation that the project management has few project scope creeps that occurred because of implementing unprofessional expert in the role of project manager. The risk attached to the project deliverables and activities were not judge appropriately (Rajani & Reddy, 2016). Hence, the report has been prepared to compare the current practices of CSD project with the sound project management practices and recommend necessary facts that must be considered in the future projects. Furthermore, the report presents skills and attributes that must be possessed by a project manager to get selected for the role. Along with that, recommendations are provided to the CEO that must be considered in the future projects.
A Comparison with Sound Project Management Practices
Through the identification of sound project practices, a comparison has been analysed in the underlying section.
- The Role of Project Manager: Project Manager has occupied a vital position in a project management work. By employing a skilled and knowledgeable project manager in standard CSD, projects will be essential to manage each and every section of project management controlling the ongoing project activities (Davidson Frame, 2014).
- Project Scope Documentation: Through the identification of issues and uncertainties of the project, documentation of project scopes must be considered as a standard practice.
- Significant Monitoring System: Sustainable monitoring and the controlling system must be implemented to avoid any unwanted circumstances in project development.
- Flexible Budget: Flexible budgeting facility has been one of the significant practices in sound project management to make up the excess cost to compensate the complicated project scenario (Hossain & Wu, 2009).
- Customary/Standard Documentation: Standard documentation of project works must be practised at the management level to keep a record of the regular activities for future orientation.
Recommended Steps for Project Closure
The Project Closure steps have been identified as follows.
- Project Approval: In the first step, the deliverables of the CSD project must be approved by the sponsors meeting the expectations and requirements.
- Project Assessment: In the next stage, the project deliverables must be identified and verified. At the same point of time, any alteration in the deliverables can be suggested as per the suitability of the project (Gaikwad, 2016).
- Develop Project History: In order to ensure the quality of the project, a project history report has been constructed comparing the project scopes.
- Construct a Project Closure Report for futuristic perspective: Finally; a project closure report must be documented for future reference.
Recommendations for the CSD’s Future Projects
Recommendations for the CSD’s future projects are presented below:
- Employ skilled project manager: The organisation need to employ skilled project manager capable of analysing the uncertainties and prepare a proper project budget and scope.
- Regular watch on activities: The project team must keep a regular watch on the activities to ensure the quality of the project (Watts, 2010).
- Documentation of the activities: There is a need to maintain proper documents for every activity that can be used as reference in the future.
- Flexible budget: There is a need of flexible budget to meet the uncertainties that occurs during the phase of project development.
- Consider uncertainties while preparing project scope: Proper analysis must be conducted while planning the project scope to increase the efficiency of the project development process.
Attributes and Skills to be Considered for Selecting a Project Manager
While selecting a project manager, several valuable skills and attributes of a leader must be judged. The project manager must be capable of planning the project with an availability of limited resources. The project manager must have the skills and attributes of effective communication to motivate the team and understand the problems on regular basis. The project manager must have proper knowledge of the market and the fluctuation in the prices (Ponnappa, 2014). Furthermore, the project manager must have knowledge of the requirements that is going to be met through the project. Hence, the project manager needs technical skills to control and manage IT projects.
Additional Advice to the CEO
Considering the current issues identified in the project, it can be seen that the CEO must be careful from next time while handling over the responsibility of project manager to any person without judging their skills. The CEO must understand the project deliverables properly by discussing it with all stakeholders of the project (Jalote, 2012). Furthermore, the project plan must be developed after analysing the demanded deliverables of the project. The schedule and budget must be prepared considering the risk elements of the project. Finally, the critical milestones of the project must be set to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the project deliverables.
The CSD project case scenario has seemed to include significant issues that have led to project uncertainties to some extent. In the current state of project scenario, the lack of a professional project manager costs the project more than anything else. Moreover, the project requirements are somewhat confusing. Due to the shortfall in funding, the functionality of the team has been hampered in a severe manner. In the case of finding a solution, significant meetings with the sponsors will be crucial to allocate more funds. Additionally, following the recent change request, the project life cycle must be developed. Meanwhile, the performance of the project team can be appreciated as they have worked according to the project standards.
Davidson Frame, J. (2014). Reconstructing Project Management. Project Management Journal, 45(1), e2-e2.
Gaikwad, M. (2016). A Review On Security Issues In Cloud Computing. International Journal Of Engineering And Computer Science.
Hossain, L. & Wu, A. (2009). Communications network centrality correlates to organisational coordination. International Journal Of Project Management, 27(8), 795-811.
Hyv?ri, I. (2016). Project management effectiveness in project-oriented business organizations.International Journal Of Project Management, 24(3), 216-225.
Jalote, P. (2012). Software project management in practice. Boston: Addison-Wesley.
Ponnappa, G. (2014). Project Stakeholder Management. Project Management Journal, 45(2), e3-e3.
Rajani, P. & Reddy, P. (2016). Security Ecosystem in IoT & Cloud. International Journal Of Engineering And Computer Science.
Wang, C. & King, S. (2007). Department of Defense Sponsored Information Security Research. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons.
Watts, S. (2010). Computer security risk management. Computer Fraud & Security Bulletin, 2010(7), 17.