Internet of Things
The Internet of Things (IoT) is the inter-connection of smart devices via internet embedded in different household objects, enabling these objects to collect and exchange data. Over the years, definition of IoT has evolved, their product capabilities are increased and now products can perform tasks beyond their primary function. World has seen a series of innovative transformations from cars to office buildings to home appliances. Some of the trending IoT devices are:-
Smart dwelling devices:-
Internet of things products have developed from simple physical components to complex products that consists of sensors, actuators, processors and many more things. Today, IoT products are both technologically and financially feasible. Some of them are:
- Medical alert watch manages the health tracking of your needy ones especially your elderly relatives when it is difficult to track it manually. It can be also be operated remotely. These watches can be fitted in your home to track all the daily activities like how much time you’re busy watching television or timely taking of your medication. These all information can be reviewed and desired changes can be made. (Frew, 2016, p.5)
- Smart running shoes tracks all your steps like running time, distance covered etc. It is embedded with sensors that help to track the health condition like heart rate. These types of shoes are also integrated with GPS to track your data for distances you covered. There is also no worry of battery charging. Example is smart shoes from Armour.
- Smart fitness clothing is a type of garment which has built-in sensors to measure muscle activity by using technique of EMG (Electromyography is a technique in which commotion of muscle tissue is recorded). A small hub type device is attached to chest or leg, it sends the collected information to Smartphone where user can track the performance and improvise it.
Smart fitness clothing is available from Athos brand.
- Smart garage controller manages the opening and closing of garage gate through smartphone app. It has also feature of alerting you if by mistake you have forgot to close it. Client can likewise give access to different people.
- Shockbox (Helmet concussion sensor) are the sensors embedded in protective helmet of players of any game like cricket to measure the effect of head affect. This information of player is sent to parent or mentor’s cellphone via network connectivity which enables them to settle on basic choices like whether they ought to be removed off the field.
- Virtual reality headset is a product that allows user to experience virtual reality with any smartphone. It’s like day dreaming experience to user to enjoy high quality VR from virtually anywhere. User can control the headset hassle-free.
- Notwithstanding resting is currently more quick witted on account of IoT innovation. Smart pillow is a flexible foam cushion with dampness wicking texture that has strong number of various features. These smart pillows have the capability of detecting snoring and afterward tenderly vibrate to change your rest position without awakening you. It will also track rest movement and wheezing decibels to give an everyday account of rest quality through a cellphone application. (Dirks, 2017, p.5)
- Home reconnaissance cameras are an incredible way to build security of your home. There are few products that can naturally identify movement and send notice to the owner’s cell phone. They are built for outdoors and replace the need for current light installation. Lights can be controlled through smartphone application. These type cameras have an extraordinary feature of detecting and deciding if the movement is of human, creature or vehicle. Netatmo presence camera is the best example of this surveillance camera.
In the making of IoT solutions Internet of things usage, control, connectivity, security and privacy are the major things to keep in mind.
Internet of things is connecting more gadgets consistently and we’re headed to a world that will have 30 billion IoT gadgets by 2022. Now, be it a house owner or car owner or a building owner everything is now built with smart things to reduce the power consumption and get the better result out of it. The development of IoT conveys a few advantages, as it will change the way individual do ordinary undertakings and conceivably change the world. Having a shrewd will definitely fascinate your guests and yet good management of lighting can lower your electric bill.
Smart devices can be connected smartly over the desired places. There are four models that can explain the connectivity of internet of things.
- Device to Device – In this, one or more devices are connected with one another over many types of network like Bluetooth, IP networks etc. This type of model is used as a part of home mechanization frameworks to exchange little parcels of data between gadgets like indoor regulators, entry way locks, light bulbs. (Hamilton, 2016, p.5)
- Device to Cloud – In this, a device is connected to cloud service provider via Ethernet or wifi connections or cellular technology. Cloud network provides a way to exchange data remotely.
- Device to Gateway – In this model, IoT device is connected to intermediate application provider. This intermediate server connects the device to cloud service where user can store and fetch data.
- Data sharing model involves extended feature to device to cloud connectivity. Authorised third party can also get access to IoT devices and sensors. Under this model, client can export information from cloud in mix with information from different sources and send it to different services for conglomeration and investigation.
With the increasing number of IoT users’ security and privacy are major concerns. In a large number of the applications, private information is gathered which needs to be hidden for others sources. Some of the security and privacy flaws are listed below:-
- Open perception – This is the primary issue the makers address. In 2016, a study of smart homes shows that 44 percent of the Australians were worried of their private information being stolen from dwelling home. That’s why they ignore to buy the smart gadgets.
- Powerlessness to Hacking – Possessed with the ability of hacking impersonators can get into genuine, accessible devices which infer impersonators have the capability to get into vulnerabilities again and again. For instance, scientists found a lot of openings i.e. vulnerabilities in Samsung brilliant things and the methods were long route from complex. (Eastwood, 2017, p.5)
- Software Update – Day by day internet of things is turning into reality things, significantly greater security is required. Anyway, paying no attention to the chance that you start thinking about security, new device making companies are unnecessarily overbearing about the risks. In like manner, one issue is that associations don’t bring back to life their appliances enough or by any stretch out of the inventive vitality. Devices were secured when consumer first purchased it, now it can turn dangerous as programmers’ detected new passiveness.
- Shielding your information from owner companies – Hackers are alarming, yet they are far from web of things. Frankly, the companies which make these kind of products can utilize these gadgets to get the solitary information and it is dangerous when used for bank transactions.
- Too much of data collection – The entire measure of data that IoT gadget makes is stunning. A report by government public exhibitions that 5,000 families create 100 million discrete information focuses each day. That’s why more data regions are available to impersonators and leaves delicate data unprotected.
- Undesirable public profile – Generally consumers don’t read the entire terms and conditions of the company products. A FTC report shows that company can use the collected data given by consumers for other purposes. For example, a car company can your data from the vehicle while collecting the performance rate of the vehicle.
- Intrusion – Intruders can attack into consumer’s home with the related gadgets.
- Shopper Confidence – By understanding the flaws consumer will hesitate to buy the things.
Solutions to security and privacy issues:-
There are noxious individuals who bargain your protection through attacking your Internet of Things, (for example, your cell phones, switches, web based cameras, and so on.). By following the beneath basic Internet of Things home security and protection arrangements, user can keep malignant assaults under control. (Seitz, 2017, p.5)
- Creating strong passwords for IoT software so that hackers will not be able to intrude your dwelling smart products.
- Purchasing IoT products from trusted owners. Trusted owners test their products so vigilantly that it will be difficult for hackers to invade their products easily. (Meola, 2016, p.5)
- Updating the software/hardware products will install the latest protection for your products. Impersonators always look for the holes and flaws to hack into the secured systems.
- Encryption of data should be done to maintain the privacy of confidential information.
- Secure sockets layer should be implemented into the system so that only authorised people should get access to the products database. (Elvia, 2017, p.4)
- Implementation of Product lifecycle management to edit the weak credentials of user IoT products.
Diagram of the dwelling layout:-
Frew, J. (2016). The Internet of Things: 10 Useful Products You Must Try in 2016. [Online] Retrieved from :
Dirks, B. (2017). 10 Best Internet of Things Gadgets You Must Try in 2017. [Online] Retrieved from:
Hamilton, D. (2016). The Four Internet of Things Connectivity Models Explained. [Online] Retrieved from:
Seitz, L. (2017). Security and Privacy in the Internet of Things. [Online] Retrieved from:
Meola, A. (2016). How the Internet of Things will affect security & privacy. [Online] Retrieved from:
Elvia, (2017). Workable Solutions to Internet of Things Home Security and Privacy Issues/Concerns. [Online] Retrieved from:
Eastwood, G. (2017). 4 critical security challenges facing IoT. [Online] Retrieved from: