This assignment report will focus and present in depth descriptive analytical information on different management theories and practices that involves: Scientific theory of Taylor, Need hierarchy theory of Maslow and leadership theory of Schmidt. The rationale behind discuss of all these management theories are to present analysis report in perspective of theories, concepts and practices used by Digital start up organization Uber. This assignment reflects how these management and leadership theories essential and important for an organization to drive and manage all internal and external business environments, activities and processes. To discuss all the essential information the entire assignment will structure in following format that involves introduction which will provide short information of entire content that will cover in each section, intro of the organization Uber. After introduction in discussion section the assignment will present descriptive information of the assignment and content. At the end in conclusion it will provide summarize entire discussion in key points (Bright & Jones, 2001).
About Organization Digital Start up “Uber”
Digital start-up of ‘Uber’ is one of the developing service providers in the United States of America. The users could use the applications on the Smartphone handsets that enable the users to order for different services provided by the company. Some of the services that are ordered by the users include food, valet services, gas, groceries, pet walkers, and others. The start-up was designed to render different type of services to the clients from different parts of the country. The company provides linked up services, through which the requested services can be rendered. At present, the company provides cab services to the people. The services can be booked through online method, which enables the users to book for the services as per their convenience. Members and activists of Uber Company have been successful in attracting the media attention which has been done for improving the services and its quality. The standards have been drafted, so as to improve the productivity for the company. Management of the company has worked towards introducing innovative strategies, which is necessary for increasing the performance (Riggio, 2003).
In the scientific method for management, the leaders adopt a formal and defined method for handling the tasks that exists at the workplace. This theory was developed by Taylor and is based on the motivational factors of the employees. The productivity is impacted, if the staffs or employees of the company don’t get paid effectively. In this case, the management of the company has to develop and implement an effective strategy through which the productivity of the staffs of the company can be improved. It is essential to improve the efficiency of the employees of the company (Dijkstra, 2004). This is possible for the company to improve the productivity through the motivational factors. From this, it is essential to define the working hours for the staffs as this will help in improving the production process. Highly motivated staffs perform better tasks, which is one of the prime important factors for the business. In this case, it is essential to hire the right type of candidates who would be able to perform the challenging task in the right manner. The process change is implemented through the scientific method, through which the production can be improved (Brahnam et al., 2005).
Uber is one of the modern companies that believe engendering the best possible services to the clients. For this, the company has introduced an effective online process which empowers the clients to choose different type of services that would be required for execution. Quality of the services is evaluated on the basis of the feedback that has been provided by the clients. Staffs can be demotivated through this process, as some of the clients can rate the employees wrong for no appropriate reasons. The external motivational factors impact the performance of the company. Thus, the management is expected to draft an effective strategy through which the corrective steps and process could be adopted (Huang, 2009).
Some of the rules that are introduced in the process include –
- Change the old rules and introduce scientific methods
- Jobs have to be assigned to the right type of candidates
- Evaluate the work performance method and introduce the better system for improving the performance (Hirschman, 2001).
Maslow’s theory for management is based on the motivational factors that encourage the staffs to perform better at the workplace. It is also called as the 5 model theory, which is based on the needs and preferences of the clients (Hodis, 2005).
- Psychological needs – In this method, human needs revolve around the basic requirements like food, shelter, water, air, sleep, and others. Such factors are considered to be necessary for sustaining life (Cetin and Hacifazlioglu, 2004).
- Safety needs – Once the above mentioned need has been handled, human requirement moves on to the safety needs. In this case, human prefer to get shelter from elements, order, law, and other factors. This helps in securing and stabilizing the needs and presences of the customers (Cai, D., & Fink, 2002).
- Love and affection – In this method, individual’s need revolves around love, affection, friendship, and other factors. Such relationships are considered to be necessary for living a healthy life.
- Esteem needs – Once the above mentioned needs are handled effectively, individual needs move on to esteem needs. In this process, achievement and status of the individual plays an important role. Such factor motivates the individual to performed biter and achieves heights of success (Beersma, 2005).
- Self-acquisition needs – This is associated with the potentiality and self-fulfillment factors. This is based on the experience and satisfaction an individual gets by accomplishing the tasks achieved by the individuals.
The above mentioned needs and preferences are quite important. The staffs of Uber work towards satisfying the basic needs, and once this has been achieved move on to the other level. Through such factors, the individual work towards motivational factors that encourage them to achieve the next level of success. In this case, each stage is important, and has to be included by the management. By introducing high-tact gadgets the staffs are encouraged to perform the staffs in the right manner. The moves go to the other levels where the individual work on getting higher payment and recognition. Such factors help in introducing the better methods through which the staffs would be encouraged to work towards achieving different tasks involved at the workplace.
Tanneubaum-Schmidt Continuum theory
The role played by the leaders is quite important and helps in uplifting the production activities. In the Tannenbaum-Schmidt continuum theory, the leaders of the company are allowed to choose the leadership style that is suitable for execution of the task. The process includes introducing different strategies that is required for implementing the rigid authority which will increase the production activities. In the contingency approach, the manager handles the challenges involved at the workplace as per the situation. There is no place for personal preferences or choice, as it is the case with the other styles. The selection of the option depends upon the options that are avoided to the leaders for handling the case. In this theory, it is noted that the approach adopted by the leaders are continuum in nature (Baltimore, 2006). Through this process, the staffs of the company are provided with the required freedom that is required for the execution of the task. The freedom is provided to the members to ensure that the right strategy is adopted by the staffs to perform the tasks at the workplace. There are different factors that are included in this managerial style, which are –
- Tells – Leaders are expected to make decision and communicate the same to the members. In this process, the challenges are analyzed, and corrective measures and taken to implement the changes.
- Sells – Decisions are made by the leaders on a rational basis. Team members are allowed to ask questions, thigh no changes are made
- Suggestions – Leaders make suggestion which will be useful for the members of the team. Through this process, the required changes would be introduced for increasing the quality of services (Elliott, 2008).
- Consults – If required the members are consulted about the challenges. This will help in increasing the productivity for the company.
- Joins- The problem is presented in the right manner, and corrective suggestions are gathered by the leaders.
- Delegates – The team is delegated the task, which is important to execute different tasks at the workplace.
- Abdicates - The staffs of the company are encouraged to define the problem and find the accurate the solution. The reasonable limits are defined, and this is used for improving the productivity.
Uber renders online services to the clients and for this the leaders adopt different strategies for improving the productivity. In this case, the problem associated with rendering services to the clients has been analyzed through effective discussion method. This is one of the important factors through which the production activities can be improved. In this case, the leaders of the company undertake the necessary changes depending upon the situation. For this, the involvement of the staff plays an important role through which the required changes can be improved by the leaders.
Baltimore, J. (2006). Fact or fiction? Nursing Management , 28-36.
Beersma, C. K. (2005). Conflict in organizations: Beyond effectiveness and performance. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology , 105-117
Brahnam, S. D., Margavio, T. M., Hignite, M. A., Barrier, T. B., Chin, J. M. (2005), A benderbased categorization for conflict resolution, Journal of Management Development, 24(3): pp 197208
Bright, J. & Jones, F. (2001). Stress, myth, theory & research. Harlow: Pearson Education Limited
Cai, D., & Fink, E. (2002), Conflict style differences'between individualists and collectivists. Communication Monographs, 69, 6787. Department of Immigration Multiculturalism and Indigenous Affairs. (2002). Australian multiculturalism. Retrieved from: //www.immi.gov.au
Cetin, M. O., Hacifazlioglu, O. (2004), Conflict Management Styles: A Comparative Study of University Academics and High School Teachers, Journal of American Academy of Business, 5(1/2): pp 325332
Dijkstra, C. K. (2004). Conflict at work & individual well being. International Journal of Conflict Management , 6-26.
Elliott, M. L. (2008, March 15). VP of Human Resources & Fund Development. (S. Graham, Interviewer).
Riggio, R.E. (2003). Introduction to Industrial/ Organizational Psychology (4th Ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall
Hirschman, C. (2001), Order in the hear, HR Magazine, 46(7): pp 5864
Hodis, G. M. (2005), Managing intercultural conflict. Unpublished MA thesis. Carbondale, USA: Southern Illinois University
Huang,L.,J., (2009),Solving Conflict in Academic Contexts: A comparison of U.S. and Taiwanese College Students, Unpublished PhD Thesis