The developing technology and increased globalisation have changed the current business scenario for any organisation seeking growth through expansion. It is important for any organisation to internationalise its operations to meet the level of competition and survive in the battle of the price. Along with different benefits, several challenges are faced through internationalisation of operations. Some problems are faced due to diversified human resources and cross-cultural practices (Harzing & Ruysseveldt, 2015). Hence, it is important for a multinational organisation to implement international HRM practices and policies to overcome the challenges of internationalisation. Furthermore, there is a need of HR director with international skills, capable of controlling the diversified workforce and motivate them to work together for a common goal.
Key Competencies of an International HR Director
It is important for an HR Director of a multinational company to have certain key competencies to manage the diversified workforce. The key competencies of an HR director and its importance for a multinational corporation are discussed herein below:
- Job Knowledge: Firstly, the human resource director must have the knowledge of the job in which they are employed. They must have the knowledge of the region and its people to recruit the best talent available in the market (Mendenhall & Oddou, 2010). Along with that, the HR director needs to have a proper understanding of the language that is used in the region. Hence, it can be seen that job knowledge has been identified as a key competency of an international HR director.
- Capacity to work with the diversified team: The HR director must have the capacity to work with a diverse team. It is important to note that people from various cultural backgrounds have different ethical and moral beliefs. Their practices differ regarding their region, caste and culture (Mendenhall & Oddou, 2010). Hence, the HR director must have knowledge of the cultural differences and respect all his employees to work as a team.
- Cross-cultural communication: It is important for an HR director of a multinational corporation to have cross-cultural communication skills that enable them to interact with the people belonging to different regions of the world. It helps in understanding the problems of the employees and build good employment relationship.
- Relationship building: Interpersonal relationship skills and relationship building are fundamental elements of the competency model. It is important for the HR managers to build a good relationship with the employees to motivate them and increase their efficiency. Relationship building helps to avoid obligations in the operations of the multinational corporation (Schuler & Jackson, 2006).
- Critical and analytical thinking: It is important for an HR manager to have critical and analytical thinking skills to make prompt and high impact decisions. Along with that, the critical and analytical thinking skills are required to understand the problems of the employees and provide them with a quick solution.
- Leadership skills: HR managers must have the leadership skills to influence and motivate their employees. Leadership skills are an important competency of international HR directors (Fisher, Shaw, & Schoenfeldt, 2013). They must have the ability to control the operations of the workforce by creating strategic plans.
The above discussion shows that the HR director must have the competencies presented in the competency model of the international HRM. These competencies improve the performance level of the HR managers and provide the organisation with a healthy and effective workforce. Hence, the ability and competency of the HR director are keys to success for a multinational corporation.
Fisher, C., Shaw, J., & Schoenfeldt, L. (2013). Human resource management. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co.
Harzing, A. & Ruysseveldt, J. (2015). International human resource management. London: Sage Publications.
Mendenhall, M. & Oddou, G. (2010). Readings and cases in international human resource management. Cincinnati, OH: South-Western College Pub.
Schuler, R. & Jackson, S. (2006). Human resource management. [Mason, Ohio]: Thomson South-Western.