The author works for an online ecommerce company. The company is all about selling products online; there are some sellers or vendors in our online company store who showcase their products in our website and users book them through online and buy it using various payment methods. The primary goal of the organization is to provide a better, hassle-free and user-friendly environment to our employees and customers, to easily purchase things online without any technical issues. We need that our the present information system that we have needs to work properly which means that there are some following things we want that the system should perform adequately to serve our customer, and the customer and vendor also can trust our company with their information (Stair & Reynolds, 2013). There are some following things that we need that our information system to do it efficiently and more and they are:
- Capable of performing an uninterrupted user-interface experience.
- Reducing the communication gap between the employees and the customers.
- The Information system needs to keep clients and vendor product data safe and secure.
- The payment transaction has to be safe and secure.
The organizational chart has been presented in below figure 1 for the author ecommerce company the entire corporate central and sub-departments are mentioned.
Figure 1: Ecommerce Organizational Chart
(Source: Barnes & Hunt, 2013)
To maintain the infrastructure, we need to take some protective actions to safeguard the system from any unethical activities. The company needs to include some data recovery plans to protect the data from getting lost due to any technical or natural disaster events. Moreover, the company has to include some authentication steps in their system so that the database is well secured to be hacked or stolen by any employee or others. Now this kind of steps can keep the information system safe by other malware activities and remain free from other technical issues as well. The responsibilities of an information system manager are as follows:
- Research and installing new systems.
- Plan, Develop and implement the ICT costing.
- Evaluate customer needs and system functionalities.
- For remote users provide a secure access network etc (White & Lafayette, 2013).
We should not outsource all the responsibilities because it's the matter of securing the confidential data of the vendor and the customers. But it is also true that some of the duties like researching and installing latest and the new system can be outsourced, but there needs to be an individual from the company who will keep an on such activities (Damm & Gregory, 2012). It is just to make sure that the information system and the data or information is completely secure and safe for use. The company has some fundamental guidelines that need to be followed by every employee in the business and they are:
- The internet usage is limited, or we can say the employee can only access the company site portal nothing else.
- There is no restriction on using multiple computers.
- No mobile phones and other gadgets are allowed inside the office.
- No personal web pages are allowed to access etc.
Barnes, S., & Hunt, B. (Eds.). (2013). E-commerce and v-business. Routledge.
Damm, L., & Gregory, R. F. (2012). Encountering Religion in the Workplace: The Legal Rights and Responsibilities of Workers and Employers.
Stair, R., & Reynolds, G. (2013). Principles of information systems. Cengage Learning.
White, L. P., & Lafayette, C. M. (2013). Key Characteristics of a Successful IS Manager: Empowerment, Leadership and personality. Pacific Asia Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 4(4).