Information technology has become a very important element in the present day business functions. Organizations that do not depend on some rudimentary type of technology are considered as redundant by nature. The primary factor associated with it is that the IT can very compatible with the usage of promotion of business function and any kind of business that completely fails to adopt right kind of IT based measures and this actually bounds to slowly die (Blais, 2015). The basic of any business becoming successful have remained the same for years and just increased the overall margins that exist between costs as well as revenues and also increase the coverage of the market as well as maintain a robust information based network where interaction remain operational. Every point is impacted by employing varied kind of technology. When a huge number of businesses are able to adopt a same kind of technology that reaches a place of equilibrium where every business is continuously pushing the restrictions to get a small edge on the competitors. At the same time, whenever the business is able to execute the technology of higher grade than the competitor and it will expand quickly and hold rising percentage of market except all the competition actually die off. All the competition gets upgraded all tools to the similar level along with setting a new kind of equilibrium (Blais, 2015). The present time is based on human history that has been aptly called as era or age of information as well as IT based technology that decides not just related to success however crucial for the survival of the company.
The report will discuss the significance, need, procedure, benefits as well as the risks related to the application of IT in this particular sector. It is obvious that healthcare is one of the most crucial and vital part of any kind of civilization. Overall demand for quality based healthcare services can actually never fall down and the overall potential for rising level of quality and also consist of variety of services. Also there is categorization in the present healthcare which is taken as business in specific incidences and it is obvious that the approach to function in a business or an industry can be applied readily on healthcare sector. Therefore, it is also important to discuss the advantages of IT specifically in healthcare from a specific point of view of actually treating the healthcare as an organization (Street et al., 2013).
Need to Apply IT in Business
Following is the detailed discussion: -
- Cost: that IT industry is presently one of the high earning sectors in the current time. There are so many successful as well as large as well as small businesses that work by giving IT based products and services to other organizations. This is why; the cost here is actually the application of IT to an organization where the whole infrastructure requires to get upgraded. Whenever a new business is set up, the overall cost put in the process consist of the cost of buying new tools as well as hiring or training the staff along with renting or commissioning the IT based products as well as tariffs for varied services in IT and also establishing an IT based structure and many more (Street et al., 2013). There is also an already existing business related transition process to an IT based infrastructure that will require having a account which is very similar to expenses if they are moving from one state of operations without any proper base for IT infrastructure.
- Planning: any successful organization is hardly ever constructed on a reflexive base for decisions and can be sudden by nature. So in place of putting so many efforts or related needs, it is important to completely pour in some plans based on development and different set of strategies in order to deal with so many issues. Implementation of IT is actually is not an exception. An average health based unit is based on so many different elements that work at one place to provide the intended services for healthcare. In addition, the services in healthcare are very crucial by nature and normally have high need associated with reliability (Charani et al., 2014). While setting a new service unit for healthcare, it is important that the stakeholders are more prepared for a plan on how many medical based facilities, tools and protocols can be integrated with IT tools as well as services in order to increase the effectiveness of work.
- Design: this part decides the overall efficiency on operational level along with number of elements of every performing as well as distinct function when utilized in connection with one another to achieve a complete set of goals. Therefore, a poorly designed unit for healthcare with the most advanced base for IT infrastructure cannot satisfy or serve the customer. But a properly designed unit along which has basic infrastructure in IT can generate a lot of praise as well as success. This is why, in all the cases discussed here, the stakeholder requires to base the interaction on any element in healthcare as well as IT based components and also make sure that IT can only help and never obstruct the healthcare based services (Bardhan and Thouin, 2013).
- Tools: in the era of modern technology and medical science there is heavy dependence on many tools. This is why, any effective facility in healthcare will be expected to have tools with many computerized technology. The IT based infrastructure can also interface with healthcare tools, if required. A typical IT based infrastructure needs a sub unit for networking which can be wired or wireless and also interact with other IT based tools. This is in addition to many human as well as computer interfaces that are normally based on current medical tools (Schwalbe, 2015).
- Installation: installing many elements of networking may based on wires which lays down or also upgrading them along with establishing the network based access points and also configuring the network based administration.
Application of IT in Business
Following is the detailed discussion: -
- Internal: the whole workforce can use the IT based infrastructure in order to organize the work based on optimal allocation of various shifts, quick interaction based on data like outcomes of many medical tests as well as examinations that conducts joint consultation and which also respond to many kind of emergencies or also keep a track of many kind of data as well as also handle accounts and manage a right record and many more.
- External: the patients find it of great amount of utility in many facilities related to IT in this sector like checking test results on internet or having an online consultation with the doctors with rapid form of reporting as well as response to various emergencies which is actually automated in many remote kind of monitoring of blood pressure or blood sugar. In the same way, there is also a line of communication based on IT which permits the suppliers of medical tools to comfortably interact with many healthcare units as well as permits easy communication of many types of data that exist between healthcare units like patient consultation (Cresswell and Sheikh, 2013).
Benefit of IT
- Profit: the main motive of all kind of application in IT in an organization is providing a facilitation which is effective and efficient as well as conducted with fast pace operations. This consists of production which speed up and also give rise to revenue based generation. For example, in pathology there is a facility of autonomous blood testing and it can also speed up the overall delivery of outcomes and there are so many tests conducted each day that permits the solution to communicate automatically to doctors as well as patients through encrypted set of emails. In same case, an test when conducted online is based on many payment option that can speed up the whole process of customer ordering the tests on internet (Cresswell and Sheikh, 2013).
- Flexible structure: it is important that it is remembered that a large portion of many kind of utilities that is delivered by a proper robust and an IT based infrastructure based on software. This is why, it is easier to make changes and also be able to adapt the IT based services that suits the need of business. For example, any kind of business will require to make a storage of huge amount of data and usually, this is data is ordered and also arranged as per the set of so many pre-defined rules. At the same time, when the large amount of data is developed and there is any kind of transformation to such rules that actually resulted in the creating a huge task of properly arranging all the previously arranged data (Shortliffe and Cimino, 2013).
- Reduction in cost: there is one part which rises with efficiency and the motive is to increase the productivity and the other is based on increasing the overall profit and related margins. The related facilities can also assist drastically to decrease the cost of operations in a business. For instance, in a software based on management of inventory can be trusted than paper pen based record of inventory which is simply associated with the ability to develop some kind of alerts when the concept of inventory items can reach the end of any kind of shelf life (Shortliffe and Cimino, 2013).
Risks in IT
Following is the detailed discussion: -
- Security: IT based infrastructure entirely depends on computers and the computer carries a risk of cyber attack. The way no lock is secured fully, same way there is no computer system which can be considered completely fail proof. The overall survival of the organization is dependent on executing IT based services and this way have IT services that are able to host so many securities based issues in the form of attacks (Groves et al., 2016).
- Confidential: many organizations consist of lot of data or information based on the internal management like the overall status of the accounts and the overall plan for the coming fiscal year which is also marked as confidential. This is based on that it must not be viewed by people who are not authorized to get an access of information. Therefore, in case of any kind of leak in IT is based on confidential data that can be easily stolen by the attackers (Orlikowski et al., 2016).
The role of IT is very crucial in the current time and the overall survival of the business in the present is taken as a key which relies on the ability to effectively use the present IT based facilities and also protect them against any kind of risks. The advantages are related to the usage of IT in the present business with so many undeniable as well as direct evidences of which can be considered as a modern time dependency on IT (Orlikowski et al., 2016).
Bardhan, I.R. and Thouin, M.F., 2013. Health information technology and its impact on the quality and cost of healthcare delivery. Decision Support Systems, 55(2), pp.438-449.
Blais, K., 2015. Professional nursing practice: Concepts and perspectives. Pearson.
Charani, E., Castro-S?nchez, E., Moore, L.S. and Holmes, A., 2014. Do smartphone applications in healthcare require a governance and legal framework? It depends on the application!. BMC medicine, 12(1), p.29.
Cresswell, K. and Sheikh, A., 2013. Organizational issues in the implementation and adoption of health information technology innovations: an interpretative review. International journal of medical informatics, 82(5), pp.e73-e86.
Groves, P., Kayyali, B., Knott, D. and Kuiken, S.V., 2016. The'big data'revolution in healthcare: Accelerating value and innovation.
Murdoch, T.B. and Detsky, A.S., 2013. The inevitable application of big data to health care. Jama, 309(13), pp.1351-1352.
Orlikowski, W.J., Walsham, G., Jones, M.R. and DeGross, J. eds., 2016. Information technology and changes in organizational work. Springer.
Schwalbe, K., 2015. Information technology project management. Cengage Learning.
Shortliffe, E.H. and Cimino, J.J. eds., 2013. Biomedical informatics: computer applications in health care and biomedicine. Springer Science & Business Media.
Street, R.L., Gold, W.R. and Manning, T.R., 2013. Health promotion and interactive technology: Theoretical applications and future directions. Routledge.