In 21st century organizations are living in an environment that is evolving at a rapid rate even faster than before. The changes have to be modified by reacting fast by finding its implications termed as business strategy. At present the concept of digital workplace is in trend the perception of viewing the organization is from the perspective of employee rather than enterprise.
In this context, the organization provided is Charles Sturt University with the assignment emphasizing up on task A and B. Task A consist of SWOT analysis and task B is briefing on social media.
As an Enterprise Architect (EA) in Charles Sturt University the duty is to create holistic environment. The role is to align the IT and business with the use of knowledge in relation to future needs (Strano and Rehmani, 2007). This provides strategic direction by linking it with IT strategy incorporating tools and models. One such model is SWOT analysis that helps in analyzing the performance of the workplace regarding market, services and product. This helps in determining the future growth by assessing both internal and external capabilities. SWOT is discussed below in relation to Charles Sturt University and it is:
Charles Sturt University (CSU)
Description of ICT Service:
A mobile app has been devised that helps in learning support, students can access in both outside and inside campus, training and collaboration. The platform is devised for students, professional and academics by having access to the resources and services by using mobile devices, tablets and Smartphone. This interface is possible only in mobile for working on even administrative facilities helping both students and staff.
· The University is famous for providing courses in distance education by working through innovation and leadership. It benefits students by studying through CSU sites that helps in retaining, recruiting and improving reputation
· CSU has inbuilt mobile infrastructure for its students by offering online courses within specific time-period. Its presence on social media, tying up with third party application such as YouTube and Word press with teaching programs. The wireless network present in the campus is of high speed and member of the Eduroam program.
· The University offers distance education to students who are geographically dispersed and researchers use web for communication with University (University, 2015).
· The project mLearn is running for many years in the campus and staffs are taking an active part. The innovative practices are incorporated here.
· The University library has its own mobile app where resources and databases can be subscribed. The apps are inbuilt along with third party services that are being operated through administrative, research and teaching departments.
· The CSU does not have enough human resource that looks after the developments separately. The software requires maintenance for existing in the long run
· The more use of mobile devices by the students on campus is putting pressure on wireless network causing delays. This is forcing University to increase its capacity and less use of laptops and desktops.
· Gateways and information system available online are ageing so the systems are overlapping with each other. The IT service has been in legacy system as the students are confused between portals.
· The mobile devices used by students are accessible inside University but due to infrastructure it does not support learning. It is more dependent on third party such as Vimeo and YouTube for content uploading
· When a system needs to be upgraded in organization the existing system introduced has to be adjusted in relation to future aspect (Turban and Turban, 2006).
· The computing market is increasing towards mobile as it is cheap in comparison to laptops and computers. The students from lower backgrounds attending CSU could own the same
· The management has to incorporate Bring your own device (BYOD) in CSU trend is irrespective of using college equipment will save hardware and taken by the increased cost
· The students and staffs could interact through videoconferencing by sharing the expertise and reducing transportation and physical cost
· It is beneficial mostly for distance students by engaging them in the learning process in University campus
· The screen of the mobile phones should be of higher quality by experiencing media and content effectively
· The assumption that all students can access the device is wrong as many users rely on limited data
· The devices are hard to anticipate as innovation is fast changing and at the same time anticipation is hard
· CSU should tell students to make their own account by managing the privacy oneself as guarantee cannot be provided for external apps when integrated into university platform
· The competitors present in Australian market already have access to iTunesU for sharing notes and materials. Various factors like increasing pressure, student experience, accessible and engaging etc.
· Once services and apps are implemented in platform changing vendors impact CSU platform
Recommendation and Summary:
The opportunities and challenges regarding mobility are transforming the expectations made by staff and students. Charles have been focusing on mLearn project for years and providing distance education in dispersed geographical location. The changes taking place in the consumer market with respect to mobile innovation is changing the fa?ade. With the introduction of Web 2.0 technology the existing platform is based on Web 1.0 technology thereby, lacking communication tools. The mobile is being upgraded by making it a single point for students in reaching to resources blending it with flexibility. The information system could be improved by making use of data analytics, sustainable design, user’s feedback and technology (Currie and Galliers, 2005). This platform helps in improved learning by being competitive by streamlining the process. The practice of enterprise architect is University helps ion teaching and learning of students that is spread across regions.
The mobile app of the University has to be compared with competitors on the basis of usability by the students. The competitors like Oxford have an open mobile source app for their students. The mobile app has to vary in terms of navigation, layout etc. by comparing with students who are receiving distance education from competitors. This has to be measured in percentage so that CSU could get an idea of competition present in the marketplace. The students and staffs have to be provided with evaluation forms about changes needed in mobile app mHub (University, 2015).
Mid-Term (over 12 months)
The flexibility, scalability and customization by the vendor are offering by working with the applications of University by having access to network and technologies. The installation and configuration of software’s by training the users by sharing tutorials, information, resources, reviews, using mobile technology and guides. The planning for infrastructure will be revised from the existing plan. Formulating guide up on how to use mobile app by touching on the subject lines for generating information
Long Term (3-5 Years)
The enterprise architecture has to serve for lifetime by being committed as the staffs existing will review the process regularly. The effectiveness of the project will be decided on long-term basis by incorporating it in the University. The implementation of the project will depend up on the skills of the architect by being competent by using interdisciplinary skills for maintaining functionality (Strano and Rehmani, 2007). The crucial moments will be interaction of mobile platform with university by upgrading it the application of social media platforms and applications have to be as per policy established by CSU.
From the above discussion it can be concluded that upgrading the existing system in Charles University is not easy. The enterprise architect has to match the software and application correctly by using his skills for effective formulation.
Information and communication technologies are influencing humans directly by being engaged in routine activities. In 21st century it is an important element for connecting with individuals by interacting digitally with others. The information generated through online mode helps in analyzing by collaborating information effectively. Social media is an effective mode of promoting products or services through communication.
Social MediaThe workplace in today’s’ time have evolved from being to the water cooler to tweets, shares and likes. Social media is a communication platform that experiments with technology (Safko, 2010). As the technology is changing continuously pressure is on how to communicate effectively. In simple term it is the form of interaction through but not limited to Myspace, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, E-Mail etc. It helps the organization by promoting its product and services, interacting with suppliers and clients, passing information and incorporating alternative communication means between individuals. Each organization in Australia is having social media policy that helps in protecting reputation. In the interest of the employees it helps in preventing harassment and bullying. A standard must be set in workplace for both personal and work purpose. One of the crucial aspects is using the technology in appropriate terms that should be guided by the employer. The employees need to be educated and trained by monitoring them continuously for addressing the consequences they might have after its use (Macnamara and Zerfass, 2012). When an employee is not abiding by terms and conditions set in organization it may attract dismissal affecting the relationship between employer and employee. Termination of an employee may due to varied reasons such as disclosing information, violating policy etc. In Australian workplace it is seen that 48% of employees stated that it has negative impact on them as it hampers productivity. A survey conducted on annual Global Workforce Index having 17,000 individuals from different nations Africa, Europe, US etc. found that 59% commented that mixing professional and personal life cause problems. From the total population only 18% are in favor of using social media in workplaces. In the survey it was seen that workers with technical and professional skill set feel to incorporate social media for personal use in work and non-qualified with 12% (Osman, 2016). The other findings generated are:
- 21% feel social media should be implemented in workplace
- Among the Gen Y 18% feels incorporation for personal use when compared with Baby Boomers 11%
- 6% feels its inclusion should be stopped
On the other hand, the information is passed with high speed by engaging the stakeholders in the process by using the social media. This method helps in socializing by generating opportunities for moving further in the digital world. The Information and Communication technology (ICT) in social media is benefit and disadvantage for workplace in terms of effectiveness. The mode of communication has transformed its reach when social media entered the market. Facebook is a social networking site that allows communication between family, friends and colleagues and is the fastest growing since 2004 (Fischer and Reuber, 2011). Similarly, Twitter has the ability to write short messages by way of tweeting with people.
The rise of social media can be seen by publishing with articles that has communication in it. This platform is growing immensely by defining the concept of modern culture by including people as its central part. In workplace it seems to be the growing trend due to cost effective process in place. The exchange of information between customer and organization helps in satisfying the demands by fostering customer engagement by adopting social media as form of marketing strategy. The companies should indulge in generating customer experiences by keeping them at front. In workplace it helps in promoting by having a competitive edge in competition in this digital era (Safko, 2010). When recruitment takes place in organization social media helps in finding new talent through online recruitment. This is possible with the help of creating a profile for attracting the best talent by valuing employees for finding potential candidates. In marketing and sales social media track reviews and comments made by the third party about the services or product. The feedback gathered helps in reviewing the performance of organization. In Australian workplace employers ensure that social media is implemented in the process of finding job applicants. With this site such as Facebook can be used for recruiting process but risks have to be calculated (Sparta, 2012). It is the process in which communication with the audience takes less time by making changes if required at last moment even. It helps in providing updates in real time to the workers for working on it efficiently. It establishes the relationship building customers and business by understanding them and working as pr their need. This helps in building healthy community by growing fast by working on the repeat business. The main aspects associated with business are:
- Innovation through collaboration
- Leadership and vision
- Empowering employees
- Generating agility in system, process and decision making process
- Engaging customers
The discussion concludes by stating that social media is even incorporated in workplace for monitoring the employees performance. It is an essential tool for marketers to promote their product in an effective manner. In the workplace it brings creativity and innovation by implementing in ICT for efficient services.
Currie, W. and Galliers, R. (2005). Rethinking management information systems. 3rd ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
Fischer, E., & Reuber, A. R. (2011). Social interactions via new social media: (How) can interactions on Twitter affect effectual thinking and behavior. Journal of Business Venturing, 26, 1-18. doi: 10.1016/j.jbusvent.2010.09.002
Macnamara, J, & Zerfass, A. (2012). Social media communication in organizations: The challenges of balancing openness, strategy and management. International Journal of Strategic Communication, 6(4), 287–308.
Osman, H. (2016). Social media has negative impact on workplace productivity: study. [online] ARN. Available at: [Accessed 23 Sep. 2016].
Safko, L. (2010). The Social Media Bible: Tactics, Tools, and Strategies for Business Success. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons
Sparta, P. (2012). Getting the most out of social learning: utilizing social media in the workplace. Development and Learning in Organizations, 26(2), pp.16-18.
Strano, C. and Rehmani, Q. (2007). The role of the enterprise architect. ISeB, 5(4), pp.379-396.
Turban, E. and Turban, E. (2006). Information technology for management. Hoboken, NJ: J. Wiley & Sons.
Turban, E., & Volonino, L. & Wood, G. (2013). Information Technology for Management: Advancing Sustainable, Profitable Business Growth, 9th edition. USA: John Wiley and Sons.
University, C. (2015). Mobile - Charles Sturt University. [online] Csu.edu.au. Available at: [Accessed 23 Sep. 2016].