The report depicts the importance of development of ERP solution or integrated system to improve a business organization. This particular report discusses the adaptation of ERP in united Parcel services (UPS). When an organization become larger and complex structure based that time, functional silos are evolved to resolve the issues. Companies should serve separate or distributive duties to deliver perfect activities in perfect locations. The strategic management system, human resource management, finance and marketing systems are also developed due to the implementation of this appropriate integrated system. The report also depicts the user’s experiences along with the benefits and challenges faced by UPS.
Section 1: System Integration Overview
System integration is referred to a cohesive process that is created by collecting different components. This report depicts the system integration in terms related to the ERP management and most of the components are equally applicable in different IT industries (U Mass & Emigh 2006).
The key steps required to implement an Integrated System
Manual process identification
Operating process development
Training and testing phase
Execution in real life practices
Figure1: Key steps for implementing an Integrated System
(Source: Pollock & Hyysalo 2014, pp-480)
Role plays by ERP System and Senior Management of an organization
In order to mitigate the organizational challenges, the senior management always took the initiatives and these problems can be resolved by implementing ERP solution. Due to usage of these technological advances shipping oriented business strategies can be developed by an organization. The roles are as follows:
It helps to eliminate the repetitive processes and also reduces the manual information entry processes (Pollock & Hyysalo 2014). It increases the efficiency of the entire system and proper management of distributive data.
The customized solution serves faster and reliable consumer services in terms of data accuracy and data security.
The entire system can be controlled and monitored by the senior management team.
Section 2: System Integration Challenges
Through the case study analysis, it is to be noted that United Parcel service (UPS) has faced several challenges during the integration of ERP system within their operational processes such as data management, security, flexible consumer services etc.
Explanation of typical challenges of System Integration
The typical challenges of System Integration faced by the UPS
Section 3: System Integration Benefits at UPS
UPS achieved different beneficial context while framing a correct integrated system. On the other hand, after implementing the integrated system the consumers of UPS were also benefited for the services.
Typical benefits of System Integration
- The integrated system provides internet based integrated technology to drive global success in future (Choi, Chow & Liu 2013).
- It gave excellent IT infrastructure and expertise transportation system (Melville & Whisnant 2012).
- The provided real time connectivity and integrated information on a single platform.
Best practices for Systems Integration that drive success story UPS
- One or two large data centers are created in terms of centralized data management system.
- The ERP solution increases the HR functionalities and financial management.
- The logistic network management system gave well defined technological standard (U Mass & Emigh 2006).
- Gave cultural and open communication advances (Ahmad & Cuenca 2013).
Analysis of Consumer Benefits from The Integrated System at UPS
- The consumers can frequently keep in touch to the service providers.
- The products and services become affordable and reduced the processing time as well.
- Consumers were able to track the online process.
- Consumes will be able to contact frequently along with the service providers. According to the changing demands, the users can request for their desired products whenever needed (Melville & Whisnant 2012). For web, based applications all the users can also share their experiences with each other on the comment section or feedback section. Based on the comments rather users experiences, others can make their requests.
- The entire process will be monitored well by the managerial department of the company (Pollock & Hyysalo 2014). If the system needs to get more developed then other technology based advances can also be added to the existing system in terms of business strategic management and proper decision making approaches.
Form the overall discussion it can be concluded that, in order to mitigate the challenges faced by UPS, they introduced a system integration in terms of ERP solution, that provided real time communication bridge between the service provider and the consumers. The new technologies of UPS IT infrastructure offer new software as package flow 12 loaded on the delivery truck and also contributed different technical ideas to the consumers also. Finally, it can be stated that the report has illustrated that UPS is a successful integrated model for different industries. IT infrastructure and expert team is hired for shipping rather overall transportation system in United Parcel services.
Ahmad, M.M &Cuenca, R.P 2013. Critical success factors for ERP implementation in SMEs. Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 29(3), pp.104-111.
Bernroider, E.W 2013. Effective ERP adoption processes: the role of project activators and resource investments. European Journal of Information Systems, 22(2), pp.235-250.
Choi, T.M Chow, P.S &Liu, S.C 2013. Implementation of fashion ERP systems in China: Case study of a fashion brand, review and future challenges. International Journal of Production Economics, 146(1), pp.70-81.
Melville, N &Whisnant, R 2012. Environmental sustainability 2.0: empirical analysis of environmental ERP implementation. Available at SSRN.
Nwankpa, J & Roumani, Y 2014. Understanding the link between organizational learning capability and ERP system usage: An empirical examination. Computers in Human Behavior, 33, pp.224-234.
Pollock, N &Hyysalo, S 2014. The Business of Being a User: The Role of the Reference Actor in Shaping Packaged Enterprise System Acquisition and Development. Mis Quarterly, 38(2), pp.473-496.
Ram, J, Wu, M.L &Tagg, R 2014. Competitive advantage from ERP projects: Examining the role of key implementation drivers. International Journal of Project Management, 32(4), pp.663-675.
U Mass, L &Emigh, J 2006. Real Word Case, System Integration at UPS crop. Adapted from Aimee Desrosiers, Case study Report, UPS Bolsters Online Shipment Tracking, Ziff Davis Internt and UPS Sutliff: Communication key to alignment, CIO insight